Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ideas for Digital Cameras and Bio-Poems

This is a great idea. I usually begin the year with students creating a (auto)Bio-Poem as a way of introducing themselves to the class. I post these or our Program Night in September and they are always a hit with parents and then I tuck them away until the end of the year. I provide the students with a choice of nice stationary which they use to print out their poem. Next year I think that I'll incorporate the use of digital cameras and have the students create their final product using a publishing software like Pages or PrintShop for MACs (I'm not sure the name of the desktop publisher for PCs).
I use Bio-Poems throughout the year in different subject areas because I find them a great way to get students to really think and communicate more than a superficial understanding of a person.
For example they could create a Bio-Poem for: a character in a book, a past Prime Minister, a craftsman in Ancient Egypt, a present for Mother's/Father's Day, a geometric shape.
I have done most of these and they have been a hit, I think the addition of the digital camera and the publishing programs will make these activities even better.

No comments: