Thursday, February 7, 2008

Comment on Software Rubric Criteria

I agree with the potential rubric criteria that have been listed in postings. I’d like to add my opinions and expand on some of the comments.

Re: Support Documentation - this should be available for both students and instructors. I would love the opportunity to plan using the teacher’s book to ensure I’m getting the software package into the best possible spot in my class’ curriculum.

Re: Cultural Sensitivity – I also think consideration needs to be given to gender and different family composition. I also feel that I want Canadian content when possible including references, spellings and pronunciations. For pronunciations, I feel it is important to have those little sound byte buttons for students to use to help with appropriate Canadian pronunciations.

Re: Is the software current or out of date – I’d also like to know if there are plans for this software’s future (add ons, updates, revisions) so that our school/school board is making a sound investment

Re: Educational based programs vs. game based programs – Does it truly need to be one or the other? I think that some game based programs are educational such as ***. I agree that if it is game based, it needs to be curriculum aligned as mentioned in multiple postings. I always like to think of the theory of “flow” (Csikszentmihalyi, M.). I’ve borrowed this information from the following website: http://www.616.ips.k12.in.us/Theories/Flow/default.aspx
What is meant by the term "flow?" The state in which people are so involved in an activity that nothing else seems to matter, totally unaware of your surroundings but enjoying the task and having fun while doing so. Where people are highly motivated or intrinsically motivated. Sometimes students understand the simpler meaning " getting into the rhythm of things"
How do we get students intrinsically or self motivated? By offering activities, (games, puzzles, manipulatives and other challenges in the symbol system) in the multiple intelligences, by getting them to understand they can have fun and learn at the same time. The activities are learning tools for them. This is a choice time, where they are in control of their own actions and decisions and they can gain some confidence by making decisions on their own.
Re: Surrogate teacher vs. Self-directed/Tutorials – The other David (☺) proposed that software should not be a surrogate teacher but should be able to be self-directed. Could these two concepts be at odds with each other? Sometimes, we need the computer software to be a surrogate teacher and our role is to enhance the learning from the software. When I’m in our computer lab with my class, I’m glad that some students are engrossed in a program that is challenging them at the level they need to be. This allows me to ensure that students are engaging in something that challenges them and it’s something that is appropriate. I don’t feel because a software program is teaching my students that I’ve abdicated my role or responsibility for the class.

No comments: