Friday, January 4, 2008

Okay, now what????


Okay, I like it.  I have read blogs before and even have commented on a couple, but this is my first foray into the hosting section.  Setting this blog up was a extremely easy process and I have had fun exploring different ways to customize the site.  It is very interesting to see how simple it seems to evolve your blog from a visually plain information exchange into an eye catching money maker (AdSense).  

I have always viewed blogs as an ongoing conversation with the world.  With that concept in mind, what part will blogs play within the scope of an elementary school setting?  Seems as if there is a fair amount of personal information that is shared or has the potential to be shared on the web. Unless the access to the blog is limited to invited bloggers, I believe this can be done, I would have some reservations incorporating this type of technology with my grade 5 students.

If the point of blogging is to engage in ongoing and open conversation with, and between students then the environment which facilitates this should be safe and secure.  Our board's intranet provides opportunities for teachers to set up and moderate class conferences.  The scope of these conferences allow for the exchange of messages(emails), instant messaging and through editable documents a form of blogging.  Benefits of class conferences are that the teacher can moderate closely the content and also limit access to students and teachers within the board or school.

I am not closed to the idea of blogging but I would appreciate ideas/thoughts on how it could effectively and safely be incorporated into an elementary school setting.

Dave

No comments: